Bounce or Flash Time For The SP500
- Posted by Frank Zorrilla
- on June 8th, 2011
Update, June 17th 1:30pm: Sold my entire TNA position. With some timely buys yesterday I was able to lower my cost to $70.76.
Here is the cost, the buys from yesterday and the sell from today: All in all I lost 1.51 on the stock and stand to make $1.10 on June 74 calls that I sold today, so roughly a total lost of .41 cents.
Update, June 15th-Yesterday around midday we took advantage of the market pop and sold some TNA June 74 calls for $1.10 for some accounts:
Update: June 13th, 2011 9:00am: Covered our UCO short position for an average gain of +$2.55. As far as our $TNA position we now have an average cost of 71.76.
Positions: TNA, NUAN June 22 calls, 14.6% invested, 85% cash.
It is very rare when you have the indexes down for 6 consecutive days, normally by the fourth day you have all the mean reversion players looking to get long for a 2-3 day bounce. Unless we get some unexpected news I am expecting a 3 to 5 day bounce.
Here are some key points:
- The SP500 has now closed below the lower bollinger band for 3 consecutive days, the Composite and the Russell 2000 closed below their lower bollinger band as well.
- Cboe total put to call ratio closed at 1.19, that’s now 6 consecutive closes above 1, and the 10 day average is now 1.00. To reiterate in the past closes above 1.00 have been bullish short term for the market (3 to 5 days).
- Cboe equity only put to call ratio closed at .99, closes above .70 are considered bullish, readings above .80 are rare, a .99 is unreal=in my eyes, this is bullish in the next 3 to 5 days barring any unexpected news.
- ISEE equity only put to call ratio closed at 125, readings under 130 are rare and have been bullish for the market in the past. See chart below:
Telechart McClellan Oscillator closed at -207, bounces start from -200 readings, see chart below:
- The breakout/breakdown momentum indicator is at an extreme low level, a level that in the past has paid as a contrarian bet.
- What we want to see is an immediate bounce, as trader looking for a bounce, we do not want to see the indexes consolidate this down move by moving sideways for a few days, that would be bearish in our opinion.
- All we are looking for is 3 to 5 day bounce and then we will reassess. We believe that it will be a long summer with really no real reason to be fully invested (too many uncertainties: QE3, debt ceiling, Weiner-lol, unemployment).
- We don’t bet on crashes, they are too rare and far in between…but we do bet on snap-backs.
- The best way to play snap-back bounces in our opinion is thru ETF’s, and with multiple buys. If you normally buy 1000 shares of any given stock, we would buy it in tranches: 150, 200, 300, etc…
- We are looking to add to the TNA at 70 and 68 and make the position no more than 25% of the portfolio. 25% in TNA (effectively the russell 2000) is no different than being invested 25% in 10 different stocks. The Russell 2000 has all the diversification you need.
- 99% of investors should sit out these mean reversion type trades, unless you are willing to take a loss and are not known to have a slope of hope investing strategy.
- Where is the buy the effing dip crowd?
Position 7% net long, 80% cash, NUAN June 22 calls, long 1st tranch of TNA, and short 1st tranch of UCO.
You may also want to read:
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Frank Zorrilla is the founder and chief investment officer of Zor Capital LLC.He began his Wall Street career 10 days after his 20th birthday when he became a Series 7 licensed stock broker. More »
Sign up for ZorTrades FREE updates.
Additional Articles and Updates
- THE XLF BREAKS-OUT, NOW WHAT
- Liquidity Is Completely Relative
- Myths, Fact, Fiction About Momentum
- Why Financial Advisors Don’t Show Their Returns
- Buy The Dip
- 445 Wins – 1 Loss The Secret To Trading
- In Case You Are Struggling This Month
- Sitting As A Strategy
- The Reason For The Sell Off
- The Whole Truth Nothing But The Truth