Sitting As A Strategy
- Posted by Frank Zorrilla
- on July 19th, 2014
At times money comes easy in the market, a time where you can do no wrong, we all witnessed this with the biotechs a few months ago, basically you couldn’t miss. Making money is not the hard part, keeping it is the real challenge. There comes a time when it is best to do nothing (swing traders) and this by far is the hardest thing to do as a trader. Patience and inactivity are the two hardest virtues to master in trading in my opinion. While the casino is open and you are staring at your screen you can make yourself justify a lot of trades, and if you run a newsletter or manage money for other people then patience and inactivity becomes even harder in this new transparent to the second environment–for you newbies in the OPM or in the newsletter world this is when you will realize that managing emotions is just as important if not more important than managing the capital.
Here are some of the things you can do;
- Tune out the noise now more than ever, in tricky/possible inflection points in the market people tend to get more opinionated, combative, and tend to be in a battle with the market as oppose to going with the flow.
- Make sure you do your homework before the market opens and before you look at the futures, this will help you to stay away from some intraday plays that were not in your plan and it will help with your bias.
- Find some type of distraction during the day, because every small intraday bounce will feel like the beginning of something big and you will want to get involve, every single down tick will feel like the beginning of a correction. The key here is not to catch “A Bottom” or ” A Top” but to be involved and take advantage of the trend when all the emotional dust has settled.
- Realize that there is a time to be aggressive and there is time to just move a couple of pawns around just to get a feel for the environment.
- The market is like the restaurant business or most businesses for that matter where they probably lose money or just grind it out 4 out of the 7 days and make all their money in 3 days. 80% of your gains will probably come in 20% of the 252 trading days. For those who I manage money for see this, inactivity, then we start moving pawns around, then we get aggressive when we get the fat pitch. Some might say that timing the market doesn’t work, like everything in life, it works for some and it doesn’t work for others, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
Zor Capital LLC is a New York based investment management firm, founded in 2011. Our goal is superior performance, with preservation of capital as our number one priority. Zor Capital manages separate accounts (both taxable and retirement) for accredited investors and institutions. This structure gives clients access to a hedge fund like strategy while maintaining 100% control of their accounts. Managed Assets
ZOR CAPITAL NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: Past or current results do not guarantee future performance. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. Further, the principal value of an investment will fluctuate; thus investor’s equity when liquidated may be worth more or less than its original cost. This document provides only impersonal advice and statistical data and is not intended to meet objectives or suitability requirements of any specific account. Performance data represents the acutal results of separate single-accounts. Hypothetical performance results have many inherent limitations. No representation is being made that any account will or is likely to achieve profits or losses similar to those shown. The following disclosures are provided to conform to regulatory requirements regarding the limitations of hypothetical, back-tested and single account composite performance reporting.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Frank Zorrilla is the founder and chief investment officer of Zor Capital LLC.He began his Wall Street career 10 days after his 20th birthday when he became a Series 7 licensed stock broker. More »
Nothing beats verified actual performance
Sign up for ZorTrades FREE updates.
Additional Articles and Updates